Circumferential Carbon Seals
Stein Seal’s line of precision crafted circumferential carbon seals are perfect for low-pressure applications where minimal, controlled gas leakage, high temperatures, unlimited axial shaft movement and low wear are critical. They can be used independently or as part of a sealing system. The exceptionally lightweight carbon material and split housing capability make it easy to install, remove or repair seals in limited space areas.
Common applications include:
• Aircraft engine main shafts and accessory gearboxes
• Recirculation pumps
• Process industry
• Propulsion systems
Configurations include standard single ring, back-to-back, face-to-face, or a tandem arrangement.
• Unique design increases flexibility to provide better sealing
• Special gap segments permit the seal to adjust dimensionally for minimal leakage
• Distinctive fabrication reduces pressure loading to maximize seal life
• The use of compression and garter springs ensures that the segments remain in contact with mating surfaces during low delta pressure and shutdown conditions
Types of Circumferential Seals:
• Clearance Seals
• Liquid Seals
• Film riding
• Gas Seals
General Performance Characteristics:
• Shaft rotation speeds up to 183 meters per second (600 feet per second)
• Temperature ranges up to 538° C (1000° F)
• Pressure ranges up to 586 KPa (85 psid)
• Diameter sizes ranging from 23.495 to 1054.100 millimeters (0.925 to 41.500 inches) with no practical upper limit restriction
• Leakage rates remain consistent over the life of the seal
• Seal life is rated at over 20,000 hours
Stein Seal Company
P.O. Box 316
1500 Industrial Blvd.
Kulpsville, PA 19443-0316 U.S.A.